Thursday, September 3, 2009

Jam

Last night we made our first freezer jam ever! I guess I can be domesticated! We actually had a ton of fun and want to make some more. We did the no bake version and it didn't take very long. We made strawberry and strawberry peach. Waiting for the water to boil so we could blanch the peaches took the longest. We got 20 pints and 2 containers worth. I have to give credit to my sis-in-laws who have inspired me. I think I could get use to some of this domesticated stuff. We are now making home-made bread for our new jam. I am glad we are adding to our food storage little by little.

3 comments:

cindy baldwin said...

Oh man, I LOVE freezer jam! I have single-handedly decimated one of our little bottles of peach-plum freezer jam next fall, just in the last couple of weeks. Wheat bread toast + butter and freezer jam = heaven.

Where did you get your strawberries??? I was going to make some more strawberry (my all-time favorite), but when I sent Mahon to winco last week they had zero strawberries left.

Melissa Giles said...

I just got some strawberries there.
YUM freezer jam! Can I have the recipe? That sounds really good!

Cindy said...

Congrats on your first freezer jam! I like to make mine with the low sugar Sure-Gel, because then I can eat more without worrying about the sugar so much!